Tuesday, January 15, 2008

visit with mother


When I stopped to take a picture of this pelican from the Pensacola Pelican Parade, a worker in the area asked if I "would like a natural Floridian to pose with the duck." Obviously, he wasn't a 'natural Floridian'!



I went to visit with my mother today and she gets worse each time I see her. She is not eating and has lost down to 100.7 lbs. Today she didn't feel well but, was her usual recalcitrant self, refusing to get up to take her shower. How do you reason with someone with Alzheimer's that forgets what you are talking about part way through your conversation. Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease. Every time mother asks about her parents and I have to tell her that they have been dead for a long, long time, she cries and grieves all over. So far she knows who I am but sometimes has to ask how many children she has. The Alzheimer's is only part of the plethora of other illnesses she's coping with. What do you do???

2 comments:

Chris Tessnear said...

I am only approaching this stage with my mom and also dealing with my Dad who had a stroke 69 days ago. Prayer gets me through along with journaling and art. It's difficult no less. My prayers are with you and your Mom.

shayla said...

I am also dealing with my mom's getting older. She is still well, but I can see and hear everytime I talk to her that she is getting slower, forgetful, and not as she used to be. It's very hard. My prayers are with you and your mom.